Thursday 9 April 2020

The "glass half full" - The Magic of Yoga Asanas

How many times have we heard of the above adage! And i'm recounting how many times i have applied it.

This time, i got the "time" to pursue what has been a niggling "to do" in my mind since almost six months. Yoga has,well, not always, but if i jog down memory lane, since the age of 25, after the delivery of my beautiful daughter and my journey taking me to this unblievable exotic town called Hospet, where due to "the no other option" option, i was introduced to my first Yoga Guru, Sri Yogi...and the rest (cliched as it may sound) is history! ( for my life!)

A city bred girl, a health freak and a fitness enthusiast....that was me at 25 years. And here was the sleepy town of Hospet. I remember how upset i was that there was not a single aerobic teacher, let alone a gymnasium. "Walking" was a starter to my routine. It was NOT a fitness option. Now what is to be done!

My mind raced. I decided to procure Jane Fonda cassettes and was thankful, i could do a routine at home. Still not satisfied, for what's the fun in working out alone...i started holding classes for like minded women - some even say they were forced to join in! Tee-Hee.

Well, man or rather woman proposes and He disposes. This was not meant to be. And, much to my chagrin, i had to look for another option. This was when i met my Yoga Teacher, Shri Srinvas Sir and then there was no looking back.

Daily, for all the days i was in Hospet, he was a constant feature in my home. And my love rhapsody with Yoga began...dispelling all wrongly held notions the young me had in her mind.

Since then, i have been dabbling with this art form, for that is what it is. Worked with many Teachers in my journey and enjoyed all forms...

This current situation has given, i m sure, to all of us, a precious commodity called "time". And i started working with one of my "to-do"s"an extended Yoga session mastered by my own body consciousness and the highlight being - holding each Asana for a considerable length of time. My own practice...in sync with my Soul.

Since Day 1 of this India Lockdown, i embarked on 2-2.5 hours of Iyengar Yoga. The Great Master has published a beautiful book on Therapuetic Yoga. It has pictures of the flow of Asanas which aid in the healing and flowering of all systems of our magical body. And oh my God...how i am loving it.

Each session..working with the simplest of Asanas, for that is what we need for our mind-body-soul sync. And then just pausing time as i hold one Asana for 3-7-10 minutes. Just still. Just breathing. Just mindful of my body in that pose. And then as i close my eyes, i am able to zone in to the "brain"of that Asana- the main fulcrum point which is one of the 12 Chakras. And then, as i go deeper in with the passage of more time- believe me you, the 7 minutes feel like an eternity sometimes...and then i can feel the prana pulsating...and then i can feel it being distributed to those organs or muscles or fat.

It is pure magic. It is invigorating. Sometimes, it's painful. At times, a cramp needs to be attended to.

I can feel..after that 5 th or 8 th minute..the energy flowing. and that is pure "Amrit"...the nectar, the golden elixir...and i wait for it. Asana after Asana. Today is my 15 th Day. And i'm already wondering what tomorrow' s session will unlock for me, my body, my mind and my soul.




No comments:

Post a Comment